Welcome to the Meaning What blog and newsletter archives! Here you’ll find context, background, and additional reading for past episodes, as well as important news and updates.
Click any title to read more.
While we don’t update this blog frequently, you can still sign up for the newsletter edition here if you’re a newsletter kinda person.
- I’ve got the blockchain blues.Non-fungible tokens (better known as NFTs) have been something of a hot news item since digital artist and graphic designer Beeple sold one at auction earlier this year to a cryptocurrency investor for a record-breaking $69.3 million. That NFT is tied to an art
- Why Bother?I am so damn tired. Tired of the many headed monster that is white supremacy and how it interlinks with so many parts of society. Tired of senseless acts of violence that result in a lot of terrible discourse that
- There’s a better way to determine cultural value.In January of this year, a portrait painted by Sandro Botticelli sold for a record-breaking $92.2 million at Sotheby’s New York to an undisclosed party. A press release from Sotheby’s celebrated it as “One of the Greatest Renaissance Paintings Ever to Come to the
- Memes and MuralsFor all the awful things that social media is responsible for, this week is a reminder that the internet is still capable of a lot of good. Mason and Sean were able to sit down and talk with muralist and
- ‘Moonlight’ and Black PermanenceThis week, we explore Barry Jenkins’s 2016 film Moonlight for the latest installment of the Meaning What Movie Club. The film is chockablock with scenes that gripped me for hours—if not days—after I finished watching. One, however, is during the film’s first chapter
- Music for the Outcast and GlamorousDance music is the lifeblood of social circles for both queers and POCs alike. It is about the experience of freedom, community, and having fun and being fabulous! But without understanding the history and context of where your music comes
- Let’s talk about what’s happening in photography right now.The catalyst for this week’s episode was the controversy happening in and around Magnum, the preeminent international photography collective. I don’t want to go into too much detail here because I think Sean, Chris, and I have an excellent conversation about